On Stranger Tides

Sailing away from this shores I’ve known
Journey of mysteries to a place unknown
I’ve stood at the banks in fascination and awe
Now I sail, letting the stars guide me
Left behind a home I once loved
The memories with me make sail as I float across the sea


The land slowly fades away behind me
I close my eyes and let the memories rush in
I feel myself go back to the place that once was home
Smoke rising from the distance
Screams of the innocent traveling with the wind
A place of peace now an altar of blood
It all comes back to me like an overwhelming flood
I open my eyes and stare at the emptiness before me
Surrounded only by sea and the sky
Gently drifting across the sea


The feel of the breeze across my face soothes me
Slowly the waves rise and fall
Reflections of the moon in the water below
My body is trapped in the boat
But my mind explores the sea
The surface above and the secrets beneath
But I can only wonder what lies beyond the horizon
If this sail would be my last
Run! They told me. And run I did
Sail! They told me. And sail I did


Still sailing, I am, with no land in sight
My last days surely it is I’m counting
Floating in a sea of thoughts, I drift away into sleep
It’s all quiet and then I hear it
Birds? Surely this could only be a dream
The sounds of the birds again I hear
The sunlight pierces my eyes as they crack open
Rising slowly and looking around, I see it


There! In the distance it stands
With a thud, my boat runs ashore
Placing my feet on the sand, I slowly take in the view
I see the birds, hearing their songs ever so clearly
I see the trees with leaves so green moving with the wind
I feel the emotions taking over. Relief, sadness, happiness
Taking what little I have left, I walk forward
Never looking back at the sea behind me
My past I bury deep inside me. New beginnings now have I been granted
I smile as a peaceful thought fills me
I had lost a home but I found another.

Comments